Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Batman and Vader and Vampires, Oh My!: Comic Con Round Up

So, as I may have mentioned in a previous blog post somewhere, Jen (of MTVP) and I attended the New England Comic Con two weekends ago. And, as promised, I’m here to recap it for you. It was three days of wild and wacky fun.

Friday began with me struggling to focus for my morning classes. I don’t think Evidence has ever made me so antsy. I really enjoy the class but I was ready to get the weekend underway and hang with Jen. We did a quick lunch and grocery run before heading to the venue. It was a relatively calm affair for the first day. I went with the intention of only getting Amber and James’s autographs. I walked away at the end of the weekend with everyone’s. We managed to get through the autograph line very quickly on Friday and so I snagged Clare Kramer (Glory), Mercedes McNab (Harmony) and Nick Brendan (Xander) in addition to Amber. As always, Amber was delightful and I miss chatting with her. She remembered me from April and we talked books a little bit. Book 3 in her Caliope Reaper-Jones series comes out in February or March and she’s planning books 4 and 5. I can’t wait. Jen and I also managed to get our photo with Amber. It came out quite well if I do say so myself.

Saturday was a bit crazier. Not only was the convention in full swing but Deval Patrick (our current governor in MA) was having a rally for the election next week and President Obama came by to lend his support. Needless to say, the convention center was barricaded to the hilt with every cop in Boston and loads of Secret Service patrolling the area. Our main focus for Saturday was James’s Q&A. We got to the venue around 8:40 (we were ushered around the building into the cold due to security for the rally) and were first in line. It was a good thing too because there were hundred of people in line behind us to get in. Not everyone did. Our seats could have been better but we could still hear everything. James was sweet and answered everyone’s questions. I’ll admit some were strange (one woman asking him to sing the end duet from Once More with Feeling). He also go very emotional when talking about the attempted rape scene in Seeing Red (Buffy season 6).

After the Q&A I got in line for my photo with James. He was just as much a sweetheart up close as he was in the Q&A. He said I was cute (I felt like I was in the old Claymation version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer). Once my photo was taken, Jen and I got in the obnoxiously long line for James’s autograph. We ended up foregoing his until Sunday because of time constraints. We had autograph tickets for Charisma and she was only there for Saturday. It was a strategic move but it worked. We ended up missing her and Nick’s Q&A panels but that’s okay. From what we heard on the grape vine, they weren’t all that good (lots of people asked Charisma about her hair. I mean…seriously?)

Sunday was a bit more relaxed, much like Friday. We got to the venue early again and got in 9with great seats) for Amber’s Q&A. She showed Chance (a film she did with James and Andy Hallett (Lorne from Angel…RIP) back during filming of Buffy season 5). I’d seen it before (shh don’t tell anyone) but I enjoyed it again. Seeing James in a dress and heels always cracks me up. He’s such a ham. I got to ask Amber some questions about publishing and was rather excited to hear she hates self-editing just as much as I do! I swear we’re like made for each other (in a non-sexual way of course). Afterwards, we headed back to main area to get James’s autograph. He made kind of a disparaging remark about John Barrowman (we knew he was joking because he pretty much professed his giant man-crush on the guy the day before). I also learned that he enjoys reading nonfiction books on science-y subjects. I tried to convince him to do my evidence reading but he declined. So sad. He did sign my photo that I got with him the day before. I’ll be framing both his and Amber’s photos whenever I find a frame shop.

Overall, I really enjoyed the weekend. Jen and I augmented our convention-going with some Doctor Who, Torchwood and Buffy watching. It was only appropriate you know. I’m entirely looking forward to any future conventions in either Boston or Baltimore that include Buffy cast (or Doctor Who…that’d be awesome too).

No comments:

Post a Comment