Friday, September 16, 2011

Valuable Lessons

I have learned a very valuable lesson (again). Now I've had my share of technology snafus in the past. Mainly by getting viruses on my computer by watching TV in not-so-smart places. No, don't worry. I haven't gone and done anything like that in ages.

But I did manage to kill an external hard drive and I thought I lost everything. School work, music, manuscripts. I was not pleased when the Best Buy guy told me they couldn't fix it and it would cost somewhere between $1500-$3000 to maybe (possibly) retrieve my data. So I bought a new drive and a carrying case and went home.

Now, I have a few flash drives lying around my apartment and I checked them. Lo and behold, between the two of them, I recovered most of my work. I need to redo my resume and hope to piece together some stuff for writing samples. But I've got most of my material back. So now, to protect myself, what have I done, you ask?

I have now triple backed up all my files. That's right. I've got them on my online drop box, I've got them on a flash drive and my new external drive (this also has my music). So I will endeavor to update everything weekly. This way I won't have to worry about losing material ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment