Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pilot Season and a Look Back at 2011's New Shows

So it's been a while since I posted something other than an episode recap. I also know I'm a little behind on the latest Person of Interest. No worries it will go up tomorrow as soon as I write it. I wanted to spend a little time chatting about the prospects for the 2012-2013 season as well as some of the shows I've really enjoyed (and some not so much) from the 2011-2012 season.

2012 Pilot Prospects

Revolution (NBC) - This is the only show on the docket that has any potential interest for me. First of all, it's a JJ Abrams production and I am becoming a fan of his work. He does genre well and makes it interesting, even if he is in love big mythology-based stuff that you have to wait seasons to get the answers (and in some cases you don't ever know) but the basic premise sounds intriguing at least. It supposedly follows a group of characters as they struggle to survive and reconnect with loved ones in a future were all forms of energy no longer exist. It could be awful, too. Who knows. But of all the cheesy stuff other networks are touting and the reboots (yes I'm looking at you Bryan Fuller), I will not be changing my weekly viewing schedule too much.

2011-2012 New Shows

New Girl - I have really enjoyed Zooey's new show. I am not normally a sit-com person but I enjoyed Zooey when she was on Bones back in season 5 and I've seen a few movies she's been in. Plus how can you not like Max Greenfield (Deputy Leo for those of you Veronica Mars junkies). I'm pretty confident this show is going to see a second season. it's quirky enough and has held up decently against the competition that I think Fox would be kind of stupid not to bring it along for a sophomore run.

Ringer - I was psyched to see SMG back on the small screen even though I never watched Buffy when it actually aired (I know...I came to the Whedon party a little late). It is a soapy bit of fun but I have to say the mysteries are enough to keep me coming back for more. And the eye candy that is Ioan Gruffudds is not a bad thing eiither. I'm not entirely positive about the longevity of the show but I think the writers could eek out at least a second season. Given the fact that CW doesn't really cancel too many shows, I'm hopeful we'll get a sophomore run out of this show too. Besides, with things ramping up int he back half right now, next season has to be just as intense.

Person of Interest - I am so happy this show got made. Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson make an awesome team and the show is full of mystery and procedural fun stuff, too. That shouldn't really surprise anyone since it is another Abrams production. Though I'm not sure if he's really involved int he writing. Still, it's taken CSI's old slot on Thursday nights and kicked some serious butt. consistently pulling in over 10 million viewers per episode. I need a new procedural really in the line up as much as I love the staples like NCIS and CSI. We need something strong when the solid performers finally go off the air (though with both CSI and SVU revitalized by new casting, it may be a while). But yeah, this will definitely be returning to the airwaves next fall.

Grimm - I have to say I was hoping to like Grimm more than I do. The procedural element should have been enough to keep my interest but it really hasn't been. I'm not sure if it's just the way they incorporate the fantasy element or the fact that aside from Monroe, the characters are rather dull but something just doesn't work for me. It might get renewed. For Friday night, it has decent ratings. But even if it is back next year, I doubt I'll be watching. I'm trying to give it the full season to finish out its freshman run but I have to say I'm not too bothered if I miss it or have to watch it several days after initial airing.

A Gifted Man - I'm not normally a fan of medical shows (the last medical pilot I watched crashed and burned quite painfully. But hey at least we got Hawaii Five-O and Alex O'Loughlin kicking ass out of it). But I like this show. Unfortunately I don't think CBS likes it enough to renew it. Hell, it only gave the show an additional 4 episodes to bring it's freshman run to 16 episodes and they'll be done by the end of March. I think I like this show because the charaqcters are decently drawn and there is that paranormal element.

Once Upon a Time - Talk about fairy tales for grown ups. While not associated with Abrams' production company, it has LOST writers and it shows. They know how to craft the mythology and blend two worlds (granted it's not flash forwards and backwards and sideways but it works). The acting is great, the story is unfolding piece by piece and I just can't wait for the next episodes. It is seriously good TV and ABC would be foolish not to renew it.

Alcatraz - Yet another JJ Abrams production. Honestly, if it manages to make it to season 2 (It might. This, along with Ringer is probably one of the bubbles), Abrams will have 3 shows on 3 networks in the fall. Crazy! I like the sort of "character of the week" format of the episode and the creepy mystery. I think using such an iconic place as Alcatraz to set this show was superb craft on the writers' part. I think Fox could hang on this show since it is doing pretty well on Monday nights. I also think it could stand a chance at renewal since things aren't looking good for a lot fo the network's other pilots.

Awake - This hasn't aired yet, though it's coming. I was really looking forward to this at mid-season when it was supposed to premiere but because of some behind-the-scenes issues, ti stalled production after only 4 episodes. I'm assuming they've sorted it out enough to give us 13 episodes for a freshman run. The premise really drew me to the show and I am hoping it doesn't disappoint. It has the potential to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment