Monday, January 18, 2010

Script and Novel: Half Siblings or Distant Cousins?

So I thought I was depart a little from advice giving on getting that dream agent and share a sort of odd experience in which I currently find myself. The idea that a storyline written in one medium can be put into another.

Roughtly 2 1/2 years ago, I wrote a full length movie script. While the experience of writing in a new medium was certainly fun and interesting, I realized scripts aren't my cup of tea. Not enough room for prose and the dialogue really has to carry the story. So I let it sit on my hard drive for a long while.

Now, I find myself revisiting the story I managed to tell in that sript. It was a fun story and the characters are snarky and really go on quite the wild journey. So what have I decided to do? That's right. I'm taking that script and turning it into a novel. I'm not sure what will become of the finished product. Only time can tell that. However, it is a new experience taking from one medium and turning it into something so utterly different. Or is it?

I've found that the script format lends itself well to a rather detailed outline. Scenes simply need some fleshing out and the dilaogue is all there and ready to be put into the moment. As I go through this process of transfer, I'm reconnecting with these characters all over again. I'm reliving their journey and it reminds me why I loved the story in the first place.

So the question becomes, are scripts and novels more half siblings or distant cousins? My vote: half siblings. They come from the same place of creativity even if they are different in execution. But, despite their differences, they can still play well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment