Thursday, June 24, 2010

Oh Happy Day!

So I've had an interesting week so far. I'd totally intended on powering through PHARAOH'S LINK this weekend but it didn't end up happening. Instead, the muse decided to wack me over the head with 3 other ideas. So I gave in and am starting a couple of them.

I'm really hoping to get a few chapters in on this one project, an historical thriller, before July 6. Why you ask? Because I'm going to a writer's workshop led by Steve Berry and I'm hoping to get his opinion on a few things. Plus, I'd like to be able to send the material to Roger to get his feeling on the project.

I also have some other good news. I was very concerned that I had lost my scholarship for school. I received a letter in the mail today congratulating me on keeping it! I was SO happy. You have no idea. I'd been pnaicking for weeks that I'd not made the grade to keep it. I'm so relieved now.

I also recieved another rejection on EUTERPE'S SONG yesterday. And it was quite the lovely rejection. The editor praised the premise and a lot of the situations but they felt it wasn't quite right for their imprint, which focuses on character driven work. And they were concerned that any new work that has a heavily Greek mythology bent will obviously be compared to Percy Jackson and it may not hold up. But the editor assured me (and my agent) that we'd probably get a taker and that they would have the perfect vision to get my characters on the shelves.

Now this may seem like, oh they didn't want it because of the competition. Which, to be fair, is true. But what I like about this is that it shows the editor took the time to carefully consider my work. That to me, speaks volumes.

And hopefully I'll be back next week with some writing progress updates for you. And who knows, I may have read another book by then. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment