Monday, April 26, 2010

Perrier's Bounty

So I'm back (finally) with my recaps of the films I've seen so far at IFFBoston. I'll be blogging about each film (or in the case of the Shorts, films,) separately. So here we go!

PERRIER'S BOUNTY

Premise: A young man, Michael (Cillian Murphy), owes Darren Perrier (Brendan Gleeson) 1,000 pounds and he's got 2 days to get the money or else he'll die. He teams up with his downstairs neighbor, Brenda, and his dad (Jim Broadbent) to get he money. Along the way, they encounter other thugs, drug dealers and dog fighting trainers. In the end, it's Perrier who has to worry about a bounty.

Reaction: First word that comes to mind about this film; violent. People are forever getting knocked out and shot and beat up. In the end, there's a very disturbing (though thankfully not much is shown) scene in which all of the dogs are set upon Perrier. Not a pretty picture, at all.

But I thought the film was very well done. The cinematography was decent and it was set in Dublin so I was happy. I like Irish films, even if the accents are a little hard to understand at times. I really liked seeing Jim Broadbent's character, so different from the one he portrays in the Harry Potter world. His character Michael's estranged father, shows up and tells his son he's dying. And the wya in which he fears he will die is quite amusing. He's convinced if he falls alseep, the Reaper will get him. He's proven wrong though, only to be shot. Poor bloke.

For my first film at a festival, it was a good choice. There were certainly a few tings a little bit better that I've seen over the weekend but it was definitely a good choice. And while I don't 100% agree with my mom, Cillian Murphy does have a certain cuteness to him. Not hot, mind you, but cute.

Rating: * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment