Monday, April 5, 2010

What's Your Soundtrack?

As I thought about what to write about this week, I realized I hadn't written about one of the most important pieces of my writing process; music. I love music. From singing in my church choir from age 5 to dabbling in music composition and joining a music centric sorority, I have always loved music. And these days there's no exception.

So, as the title of today's post indicates, I have a soundtrack for my writing. It helps me get in the right headspace for whatever I'm working on. But I don't have just one soundtrack. That wouldn't be useful. I have several. I really recommend using a soundtrack to get you in the right space. Just don't get too distracted singing along (waves hand around with a guilty look on her face).

So I thought I'd share some of what's on my writing soundtrack for the last few projects I've done and the one I'm working on now.

ACCORDING TO OWEN (adult contemporary)

I relied heavily on my miscellaneous playlist while writing this novel. It helped that the story had kind of a modern feel. The list was a mixture of indie rock (3 Doors Down, Brandi Carlile), a dash of country (Christian Kane) and some fun filled TV soundtracks (Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Glee).

UNPLANNED (women's fiction)

I used my exclusive Glee playlist while writing most of this novel. Somehow writing about unplanned pregnancy seemed easier with the upbeat tunes from the McKinley High Glee Club. Near the end of the process, I added my exclusive Christian Kane playlist made up mostly of his new EP that was released in early March. I found that his wildly alcoholic filled songs were just what I needed to get me through the hard portions of the storyline with each of the four main characters.

PHARAOH'S LINK (middle grade urban fantasy)

This novel took me a bit by surprise soundtrack wise. I started writing it on Friday on the train ride home for Easter. I thought something upbeat like Glee would work, or even my miscellaneous would work. I was wrong. Dead wrong in fact. Let's just say I rediscovered my youth on this one.

For those of you that know me, you know I am a huge Hanson fan. I've been into their music since the beginning (and am anxiously awaiting their new album on June 8th). I've collected quite a lot of their music over the years and it's been sitting in it's own special playlist on itunes for years. I have some of their stuff in my miscellaneous playlist and a few smaller lists but not like this. So on a whim, Friday on the train I turned it on and started with my old reliable, "MMMBop". And then the words flowed like water. Okay, so that's a bit dramatic but whatever. The point is, I'd found my soundtrack for this novel.

It also served to remmind me where my love of music comes from. The stuff that made me smile and squee as a child. And that's what I need for this new novel. The excitement of a child about to go on a wild adventure.

So that's my little bit of writing wisdom for the week. Check back next week for a recap of the Boston Comic Con (where I will be meeting Buffy alum and fellow author, Amber Benson).

No comments:

Post a Comment